Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Persons Unknown, aka The Cube, Small Town Style.


Why, oh why, has Persons Unknown debuted in the summer, 10pm on a Monday evening? The network refers to it as a thirteen-part miniseries. NBC, I hate to break it to you, but that's one whole season. A miniseries is spread across a few evenings, not thirteen episodes. (How embarassing, you think someone would have explained that to them by now).

The premise? Seven strangers wake up in a hotel, kidnapped from everyday life. It's important to note, they seem purposely chosen from a mix of socio-demographic backgrounds. All claim to be unwilling victims, innocent of any involvement or knowledge pertaining to said abduction scenario. Of course, any of them could be lying.

Outside the hotel is a deserted town. Attempting to leave the town results in a dose of tranquiliser, courtesy of remote controlled implants. Surveillance cameras are visible everywhere, and soon, our little band of lab rats are providing endless sociological fodder for the crazy freaks watching them. (Wait- would that include us?)

You don't know quite what will happen next in Creepy Town. This element of narrative unpredictability places the show a step ahead of many formulaic scripted dramas currently screening on television. (Hey, I'm happy to grade on a curve). Hints are dropped like breadcrumbs, or more accurately, fortune cookies. Who isn't a sucker for any show that can use fortune cookies to introduce a moral dilemma? Oh, it's just me, then?

Persons Unknown is created by Christopher McQuarrie, who wrote The Usual Suspects. What promises to save the premise from becoming tired? Well, the narrative isn't restricted to seven people stuck in a giant cage. A reporter on the outside is trying to follow the trail of Janet, missing mum from San Fransisco. He does a great interview scene with the her mother, aka freaky upmarket grandma, currently caring for Janet's daughter:

"She never felt I was a good parent. The word she used was abusive. I never hit her. One time, I hit her with a hairbrush until it broke. My daughter and I were, well, we both are, very strong-willed, you see."
Persons Unknown, Pilot Episode.

While digesting the inherent creepiness of this statement, viewers are suddenly made aware there's a surveillance camera hidden inside the house. THEY'RE IN THE HOUSE!

And I know there has to be one annoying character, but already I wish someone would accidentally shoot Blackham.

Janet: You're the one. I heard you walk past my room.
Blackham: Oh, was that you screaming for help?
Charlie: You mean you just left her there?!
Blackham: Hey, look, no hard feelings.
Persons Unknown, Pilot Episode.

Kudos has to go to actors Jason Wiles and Alan Ruck. Their performances in the pilot are top notch.

If the show can hold up the scripting side of the bargain, I'll continue watching. On a cautious note, it's important to remember Flash Forward also had potential before quickly progressing down the gurgler...

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, this sounds ike it was made for me to love it! Thanks for the tip, will have to hunt it down and watch it in my spare time (hahaha).

    And I may just overlook the fact that he wrote The Usual Suspects.

    ReplyDelete