Monday, July 12, 2010

Half Hour Humour: The Sitcom Ghetto


Most fans of scripted television spend a lot of time shaking their fists at the thirty minute situation comedy, but I'm going to make a stand for the underdog.

There's a reason shows like The Big Bang Theory are rating strongly. Watching procedurals that investigate stabbings, rapes and other forms of nefarious crime isn't always the preferred way to unwind.

To be fair, there's no denying the less-than-perky theme of war has a recurring role on the sitcom scene. What is that about? Iconic programs like Mash, Hogan's Heroes, even 'Allo, 'Allo! come to mind. Imagine pitching those scenarios...

1. "Surgeons and nurses working at a field hospital during the Vietnam War. Bunch of laughs."
2. "How about a POW camp during World War Two? No?"
3. "A French cafe owner caught between the Resistance and the Nazis. Guaranteed hilarity."

Come again?

I recently lost a sitcom. 10 Things I Hate About You was aimed at a teen audience, based on characters from the film of the same name. It was kind of charming at times. Not to mention Gregory Peck's grandson Ethan Peck was doing a mighty fine job as the resident bad boy with a soft heart and (hereditary) deep voice.

Losing your viewing is always tough.

Karen: Oh, Jackie, what are we going to do? What are we going to talk about around this water cooler every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning?

Jack: I don't know, Karen. I mean, you hear about when other people lose their shows, but you never think it's going to happen to you. It makes me sick to think how cruel I was to my own mother when Barnaby Jones got canceled.

Karen: You know, when Stan died, I knew just what to do. A few months later, I simply got engaged to someone else. But this is different, Jackie. This is television.

Will and Grace, Season 6 Episode 19.

When it comes to trying a different show, I have one rule, and that is to sidestep cringeworthy comedies.

Not to be confused with badly written constructs, these are programs that have, unfortunately, outdone themselves. Combine brilliantly subversive writing with impeccable performances, and you've lost me.

Prime examples? Seinfeld and The Office. The cringeworthy factor is so high, it's a comedic killer. As a viewer, I am so embarassed for the characters I can't even laugh. Instead, I feel slightly sick from mortification. Sure, the people on the screen aren't real, but this is situational television. In short, they could be!

Standout new kid on the block, according to the ratings, is Modern Family. High grade sitcoms tiptoe the line between outrageously funny and blatantly overdone. So far, Modern Family is twirling easily on that tightrope, to the point of showing off.

We all know Betty White has the Midas touch. Even the mediocre writing in Hot In Cleveland can't haul this ratings rocket back down into the stratosphere. Following three women of a certain age, their overwhelming obsession with finding men is more nauseating than endearing. Is nothing else going on in their lives? Or, more importantly, their heads?

Cougar Town has a certain goofiness that's oddly charming. The internet has been abuzz with gossip concerning a possible name change. Sounds like a good idea. The program's wandered away from its original premise, focusing more on the kooky adventures of a close knit group (sound familiar?) which is probably what Monica, sorry, Courtney, should have run with from the outset. Definitely one to watch for sheer fun.

Of course, there's nothing like the classics to keep you smiling. Every now and again I try to catch an episode of that paragon of modern sitcoms, Friends. (I like to think I'm Phoebe-esque. Sadly, my little bro informs me I'm so very Ross). Murphy Brown's currently repeating on a network here. I haven't caught it yet, but a friend recommended tuning in to the FYI crew for the fashion flashbacks alone...!...

2 comments:

  1. Loving the new website look! Nice work...
    www.wastyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh God the Office! I haven't seen the US remake, but that British one made me feel soo uncomfortable.
    Summer Heights High, too. Ross lent his DVD to a friend when we were halfway through, because he thought I hated it. I liked it, but I must have made some cringey noises.
    xx

    ReplyDelete