Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Immediate Future (of television, that is!)


What to watch, what to watch? It's fun when American networks try on new shows. Of course, after an episode or two most of them are rejected, but at least we get to enjoy the whirlwind for a few weeks.

Here's a dozen standout newbies, along with links to some dazzling trailer action. Vetting a show based on a minute thirty or so of footage is bit like judging a book by it's cover- hardly an informed decision, but hey, you work with what you've got...

(I didn't write much about the previews, because I know I'll blog about the best of these at a later date!).


1. Awake
Brilliant premise, brilliant trailer. Just the idea of someone living like this gives me chills. Must-watch show of the season.


2. Terra Nova
The latest scifi series from Steven Spielberg and Brannon Braga. Fresh scifi blood's pretty scarce on the (tv)ground at present, so a lot of genre hopes are pinned on this one.



3. Scandal
I like this kick-ass chick. She's a crisis management lawyer with presidential contacts. The writing quality seems relatively promising, overall.



4. New Girl
Sitcoms in the vein of Friends are de rigeur. This light, fun take stars Indie Golden Girl Zooey Deschanel. Enough said.



5. Alcatraz
If you like Lost, you might like JJ Abram's latest effort- with Sam Neill! I think there's enough requisite spookiness for me to give it a chance.



6. Pan Am
Here's a flashback to old school stewardess glamour. I'm not really into this sixties-based television trend, but Christina Ricci is fantastic.



7. The Finder
A spin-off of Bones, so the writing's bound to be good. (Also glad the guy from Happy Town got a new show).



8. The Playboy Club
Lovers of Mad Men are bound to give this one a chance. Apparently, the sixties are SO in right now. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the allure?



9. Apartment 23
I really like Krysten Ritter, and am glad she got her own show. She just manages to bring so much sass to her small screen performances.



10. The Ringer
Not quite convinced Sarah Michelle Gellar has chosen the right vehicle for her tv return (the premise sounds dubious), but I will watch this out of Buffy-based respect.



11. Grimm
Obviously inspired by Supernatural, but it is from the executive producers of Buffy and Angel, so I'm in. Just hope it gets the chance to run a whole season.


12. Unforgettable
If I have to include a procedural, it would be Unforgettable. Basically, the protagonist is like a female Sherlock Holmes.

Happy Viewing!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment